Immigration & Paralegal Services Notary Services

Consent Letters to Travel

Consent Letters to Travel

What is the procedure for obtaining a notarized minor travel consent form?

You and your family are planning a trip to another country, and everything is meticulously prepared down to the last detail. The attractions to view, places to visit, and restaurants to try are all color-coded on your itinerary.

The only problem is that you imagined traveling with your 3-year-old wouldn’t be a problem. You packed their birth certificate and budgeted an extra half-hour at the airport to cross customs.

Traveling with children under the age of 18 is more complicated, with different rules and requirements depending on the child’s age, the reason for their trip, and who they are traveling with.

This website will explain how to obtain a notarized minor travel consent form as well as why they are necessary.

A Notarized Minor Travel Consent Form’s Importance

Traveling with children is strictly regulated in the United States, as it is in many other nations throughout the world. Because of the rising number of incidents of child abduction in custody proceedings and the growing number of children who are victims of trafficking, the minor travel consent form has become increasingly required.

All U.S. citizens must display a valid passport when re-entering the nation by air, according to US Customs and Border Protection (CBP). This applies to kids of all ages.

A child’s birth certificate will usually suffice while flying within the United States or traveling internationally by land or water. For youngsters traveling without one or both parents or legal guardians, a notarized letter of consent will be necessary. The accompanying adult’s travel consent is validated by the letter of consent.

Although there is no standard minor travel consent form, there are templates available online that can be used as models. As you’ll see, you’ll need to record the who, what, where, when, and why of the child’s travel, as well as the contact information for the child’s absent parent(s) or legal guardian (s).

Notarize When It’s Convenient For You

We’ve got you covered whether your vacation is a few months or a few days away.

Notarize is the first platform that allows you to notarize documents from your iPhone, Android device, or computer. We can put you in touch with a notary public at any time of day or night, seven days a week. We have a notary on standby to show you how to receive a notarized minor travel consent form at any time and in any location.

Notarizing your document with Notarize adds an extra layer of security, which is very useful for globetrotters. Our notarizations are digitally signed and connected to a digital record, ensuring the authenticity of your document to any travel business or foreign agency.

You also don’t have to worry about losing track of a slip of paper because it’s digital. The letter of consent can be retrieved at any time using our Verification Portal, saving you the time and effort of looking for an overseas notary and allowing you to focus on your holiday.

What is the Process of Notarization?

Not the other way around, we work around your schedule. Simply download the Notarize Mobile App or connect with a notary on your computer and follow these steps to have your document notarized by a notary public:

⦁ Upload your minor’s travel consent form, but do not sign it before doing so. You must sign in the presence of a notary public.
⦁ Using Notarize’s digital tools, fill out the document.
⦁ Confirm your identity.

You’ll be prompted to join a live video call with a commissioned electronic notary public when you’re ready. A notary is available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

While the notary public watches over live video, sign using your PC, iPhone, or Android device. Watch as your paper is notarized online by a notary public. The average time spent waiting is around 60 seconds. You’ve completed the task! Fill out the minor consent to travel form and have it notarized.

Although a consent letter is not required by law in Canada, it can help Canadian children travel more easily because it may be asked by immigration officials when entering or departing a foreign country, or by Canadian officials when returning to Canada. The letter demonstrates that Canadian children who are not accompanied by their parents or guardians have permission to travel overseas.

We urge that you speak with a lawyer about the legal difficulties that are specific to you and your children’s situation, especially if your parenting arrangement includes special provisions that regulate international travel. Because each country has its own entrance and exit regulations, carrying a consent letter does not guarantee that minors will be allowed to enter or leave a country.

Every non-accompanying person or organization having the legal authority to make key choices for the kid should sign the letter, including anyone with:

⦁ rights to custody,
⦁ rights to guardianship, or
⦁ authority of the parents (in Quebec only)

We also propose that any non-accompanying parent who has access to the child sign the letter.
Anyone who has reached the age of majority may witness the signing of a consent letter (18 or 19, depending on the province or territory of residence). However, we strongly advise having the letter witnessed by a notary public, since this will reduce the likelihood of border officials questioning its legitimacy.

We also urge that you check with the airline, bus, train, or other mode of transportation you will be using to see what policies and restrictions they have in place for children.